Coming up with last minute gifts for the seniors in your life can be a challenge, especially when they already have everything! Even with Hanukkah just behind us and Christmas just around the corner, it’s still possible to find a meaningful, useful, and enjoyable gift. Here are some gift suggestions that are perfect, not just for the holidays but all year round.
What kinds of gifts do seniors like?
Seniors appreciate gifts that are helpful, thoughtful, and that can help improve their lifestyle. Products and services that help seniors remain autonomous, improve their well-being, and that increase safety are highly valuable to them. The following categories of gifts are especially useful to seniors:
- Mobility/transportation gifts
- Gifts that encourage relaxation and alleviates anxiety
- Gifts for the home
If you’re close to the senior that you’ll be purchasing a gift for, then consider their personality! Are they more serious or fun? Do they prefer to be alone or are they social? Are they tech savvy or do they keep it “old school”? Having this type of information will probably prove helpful when purchasing a gift for a senior.
Inexpensive gifts for senior citizens
Purchasing a gift last minute doesn’t mean you will have to settle for buying only expensive items. In fact, drug stores like CVS and Walgreens have gifts that are relatively inexpensive . Stocking stuffers make great gifts and can be a hit for the senior in your life if you include items that they’d actually benefit from.
Stocking stuffer gifts:
- Checkbook cover
- Lip balm
- Disposable camera
While stocking stuffers make great gifts, it’s also okay to get something a little more practical for the senior in your life. These gifts are almost always used and can be beneficial to anyone.
Practical gifts for seniors
- Coffee mug
- Throw blanket
- Non-slip house shoes
- Neck pillow
- Electric mattress pad
- Denture cleaner
- Foot massagers
- Handheld showerhead
- Small crockpot
Small Home Goods for Seniors
If you really know the senior in your life and they have an interest for decor and style, then purchasing home goods may be a hit. Small, portable gifts for the home are perfect.
- Unique cutting boards
- Small art prints
- House plant
- Themed potholders
- Decorative towels for the kitchen and bathroom
- Decorative home office accessories
- Throw pillows
Gifts for senior citizens who have everything
For the senior who literally has everything, the best gifts emulate convenience, time, and experience. Many seniors value experience more than material items, and as a result, you may not need to spend a dime. Consider these simple, no-cost solutions.
6 Gifts for seniors that don’t cost a dime
- Completing household chores
- Listing 50 things you learned from them in a notebook or scrapbook
- Playing a board game from your childhood
- ‘Read this when’ – You can create short letters for specific topics and put them in envelopes. The senior can open them when they go through certain experiences or are feeling a certain emotion.
- Playlist – Create a CD of some of their favorite songs
- Set-up their computer so they can easily find games they like such as solitaire, casino games, and even video chat with you.
The gift of experience
If you do have a little money to spare, then these experiences might get you named the best gift giver of the year.
- Gift certificate for their favorite restaurant
- Gift certificate for a massage
- Take them to get a manicure and/or pedicure
- Set-up a ride service that can take them to the casino, museum, or anywhere of their choosing
- Grocery delivery service
- Other errand services – prescription pick-up, post office run, merchandise returns, banking errands, and more
- Housekeeping services
- Personal chef services
Gifts for seniors with Dementia and Alzheimer’s disease
While finding a gift for a senior that struggles with cognitive challenges may seem difficult, it doesn’t have to be. The following gifts are appropriate for seniors with Dementia and Alzheimer’s disease:
- Fidget spinner
- Photo/memory book
- Sensory items
- Nature videos and soothing music
Finding a gift for the senior in your life doesn’t have to be overly expensive or challenging to do. Overall, it’s the thought that counts and they’ll appreciate whatever you give. More than anything, seniors value the gift of time and that’s something money can’t buy.